Monday, February 20, 2012

Memory Monday- Not so Much the Good Luck Charm

Yep-it's back (again...)  Memory Monday!  And I promise to try to be more consistent with it...

Now you may all not believe this, but I wasn't always the hard care Cardinal fan that I am today.  I was a Cub fan. 

Haha...Just kidding- I set my standards a little higher than that!  No, but really, I have always been a Cards fan, but didn't go to nearly as many games as I do now.  Here's the reason.

Growing up, we went to about one Cards game a year.  I have seen games where the Cards hit home runs, grand slams, and had awesome games to watch, but the Cards always lost.  Always.  Really.  Once I was in college, I gave up.  I was pretty sure that my being at a St. Louis Cardinal game resulted in a loss for the Cardinals.  So for their sake, I stopped going to the games.  I don't do sports on TV (my attention span just doesn't allow for it) so I kinda lost touch with the Cards for the most part until J and I started dating. 

J did not believe me about my poor luck, so we got tickets to go to a game together with our friends.  It was the top of the 9th inning and the Cards were down 4 or 5 runs.  We had plans to go on a float trip early the next morning, so we decided to leave the game early.  Now, I am not exaggerating when I say as soon as my body went out of the stadium, we heard massive cheering.  By the time we made it to the Metro station across the street, the Cards had scored a run.  By the time we made it back to our car, the Cards had tied the game.  By the time we were five minutes down the road, the Cards had won the game in extra innings.  Really.  I'm bad luck.  See.   J decided I should never go to a Cards game again.

Flash forward a few years, a friend had tickets to watch the Cards in Milwaukee, so we decided to go.  My friend nearly caught a foul ball, but the Cards still lost. 

The next year, J and I decided we really liked seeing the Cards play in other stadiums and bad luck be darned, we were going to watch the Cards play in all the MLB stadiums before we died.

Our first stadium of the year was Wrigley!  I was about 6 months pregnant with L at the time. 
L's first Cards game:)


It was an intense game, the game just went back and forth.

7th inning, Cards up...is it too early to be hopeful?

The Cards won! 

Final score.  I took a pic to prove I was there when the Cards won!

Yep, I was there and they WON!!!  At this point we are about 50/50 for win/losses at away Card games.  Hopefully, the bad luck is gone.  (Notice that we didn't go to any of the playoff or World Series games this year though...)

J will never let me live down my astonishment and pure joy of seeing Fred Bird run out waving the Cardinal flag on the field at Busch Stadium when I saw my first home win two seasons ago.

It was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...