Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Birds in Motor City-Part 1

I would first like to let everyone know that my Mother-in-law just returned from Hawaii and my Mom and Dad just returned from The Dominican Republic.  Guess where Jeff, Logan, and I just got back from?  Any guesses?  Tahiti? Nope.  Australia? Nope.  Mexico?  Nope.  Detroit, Michigan? No-er-Yep...
That's right folks, while everyone else was basking in beach glory, our little family went to Motor City.  We went to add another MLB stadium to our list.   We have now entered double digits!  Watching the Cards play in Comerica Park last week was stadium number 10 for Jeff and I (It was only stadium #7 for Logan, although I was pregnant at 2 of the parks...so maybe it was number 9 for him?)
I'll let you all know that I was not at all excited about our trip to Detroit.  I mean, come on, other than going to the baseball game, what the heck were we going to do in Detroit?  I am going to tell you that we actually ended up having a REALLY good time.  There are A LOT of pictures to show just how much fun we had!!
We flew to Detroit because we knew Logan would love it!  He assured us for months that we would be flying in a "purple plane".  Even though we kept telling him this was probably not going to happen, he insisted.  Our plan was not purple, but the Southwest planes on the runway satisfied him.   I am thinking about getting my pilot license now.  Here's why:

Flying in the plane was instant lights out for Logan!  Both flights!   He was asleep before we even gained full altitude!

Logan travelled in style through the airports!  Let me tell you the little strap that holds the car seat to the carry on suitcase is one of the best $10 I have ever spent!

Our flight to Detroit was delayed by about an hour, so Logan and Jeff enjoyed a movie on the iPad while we were waiting!
 Once we arrived in Detroit, we took a cab to our hotel.  We stayed at the Downtown Hilton Garden Inn which was a decent hotel.  It was right by the ballpark, but there wasn't much else nearby other than bars and casinos!  I have never been to a city that was so dead.  There wasn't traffic, there were hardly any people, hardly any homeless folk asking for money and such, and gorgeous buildings going to ruin!  It was so sad.  I am sure at one time Detroit was a wonderful city, but it is almost like a ghost city now!
We did find a Hard Rock near our hotel, so we enjoyed Hard Rock cocktails (virgin for Logan, of course!) our first night in Detroit followed by a swim in the hotel pool.

Cheers!
 The next morning, we woke up to Logan showing us how he had peed all over his sheets in his tent (on accident).  He kept telling Jeff and I "I no like dis house" and pointing to his Peapod tent.  Since his sheets were soaked with urine, he didn't have to sleep in "dis house" anymore and was a lucky little man and slept in bed with Mommy and Daddy for the rest of our stay.
Anyhow, we decided to go check out the stadium that morning.  There were no tours offered on game days, so we were not able to get a stadium tour.  The outside of this stadium is AMAZING!  I have never seen so many Tigers!!

Tigers with baseballs in their mouth lined one entire side of the stadium!

"Ahhhhhh!!!"  Logan and I are about to get swiped by a huge Tiger!!

These Tiger statues were all over the top of the stadium. It was really neat!
 Other than going to the ballpark, Jeff had seen a couple of hot dog places on the Travel Channel that he wanted to go try out.  It was a bit of a walk from our hotel, but we hoofed it in the 90 degree weather and arrived!
American Coney Island and Lafayette Coney Hot Dog

They are right by each other!  We chose American Coney Island to try out with plans to return to try out Lafayette the next day.

Jeff wanted his picture in front of the hot dog places!

The hot dog!  Hot dog, chili, mustard, and onions.  Yummy!

Logan was a fan!

Jeff gave it the thumbs up too!
Ok, I was going to try to do this all in one post, but there is just way too many photos, so Part 2 will be coming soon with photos from our trip to Comerica Park to watch the Cards take on the Tigers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...