Monday, January 31, 2011

Cable smable...

I hate Cable providers.  No matter where you live they have a monopoly thing going and you are just stuck.  We originally had satellite when we moved down here, but switched to cable because it was going to save us around $40 a month.  I'm all for cutting costs.  The original guy who came and installed our cable brought us a box that would not DVR and after 4 or 5 calls to the cable provider, we finally got a box that DVR'd.  Now over the past several months I've noticed that the DVR fills up really fast and finally counted how many hours it would hold.  25 HOURS!!  That is nothing.  I like to tape Lifetime movies and cartoons for myself and L to watch when nothing else is on TV.  Yes, we have OnDemand, but it's a pretty lame selection for the most part.  I decided to call and see if something was wrong with our DVR because I've never heard of a DVR that held so little.  After talking to 3 different people in 3 seperate phone calls, it was decided by all of them that our DVR should definitely hold more.   Easy fix, right?  Nope!  I got three different answers.  First lady said they could probably send someone out, but to call back to see if they had any more DVR boxes available.  Second man was an idiot and nothing he said made sense at all.  He just kept telling me I was going to have to pay to get a external hard drive.  The lady today agreed that we would have to pay for someone to bring it to our house, no they could not mail it.  BUT-if we wanted a new box for free, I could go to the local cable office and get one there.  Ok, that's not too bad.  WA-IT!!!  Our local office MAY not even have the external hard drive and we could not call to check because the local offices don't take phone calls...SERIOUSLY!?!  I decided since the office was only a few minutes from our house, I would stop by to see if they had the hard drive on my way to the store to pick up milk for L.  I get there and the lady had no idea what I was talking about with an external hard drive, but she had a box that she thought would work better (THOUGHT being the operative word), but I would have to go home, get our old box, and bring it in to switch it out.  PLUS-do it in the next hour because she wouldn't hold the box any longer than that for me.  Are you FREAKIN' kidding me?  Needless to say, I came home, told J what happened and we will be switching back to satellite when we move.  I plan to call the cable company and explain that they will be losing multiple months of cable service payments because:

a) they couldn't send someone to our house to bring us a DVR that should have worked in the first place without charging us
b) that even if I picked it up myself I wouldn't be guaranteed it would be a better box
c)they expected me to come pick up said box right away and refused to hold it for more than one hour for me

Seems like they will be losing a whole lot more money that I would have in that deal, huh?  Satellite is going to cost us the same now (we are going with a different company that we had before) and we'll get more channels including more HD channels.  And we have no contract with the cable company, so they can't charge us any ridiculous fees. 
Ok, I'm done with my rant....

1 comment:

  1. We're having the same problem but with Dish. You can't win.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...