Monday, January 17, 2011

How Expensive?!?!?

How is it that being healthy has gotten so expensive?  It's no wonder why our nation is so overweight.  I'm always amazed at how hard my checkbook takes a beating when I try to be healthier.  It costs to get assistance to lose weight, it costs to get fit, it costs to eat healthy, etc. 
Today J and I decided we should really look into joining a gym.  Up north, our park district had a huge facility with multiple pools (including an indoor pool play park), 2 indoor tracks, tons of free classes, daycare, basketball courts.  You get my drift-it was massive and awesome!  For all that stuff, we paid a fairly decent rate.  I started calling local gyms and rec centers down here today- HOLY COW!- did I get a shocker!  Gym memberships are so expensive down here!  One gym wanted $65 per month per person unless we agreed to a 1 year contract (and who really wants to do that-what if you don't end of using it and want to cancel?)  This gym was pretty basic and no pool or indoor track. 
I also think of how much I spend to lose weight in general.  I am not an internally motivated person when it comes to losing weight.  I have absolutely no control over myself and will not be accountable to myself.  That being said-I do great losing weight if I have to be accountable to someone else.  That is why WW works so well for me!  I have to walk in the door every week and step on the scale and I feel so ashamed if I haven't lost weight and it upsets me all week and forces me to do better.  It's totally my speed and I'm very successful.  BUT-it costs a lot!!! 
Grocery shopping is another thing that gets me.  Ever since little man was born, I have tried to shop for more fresh foods and less processed foods.  The produce and meat alone that I buy breaks the bank!  I probably spend 3 times more on groceries now than I did when J and I lived off of Hamburger Helper and frozen meals. 
If I ever win the lottery-I'm gonna build a free fitness facility that sells cheap produce and offers free weight loss help among other things.  Of course as my Dad always says "You can't win the lottery if you don't buy the tickets!" 
Guess I'm headed to the nearest gas station now! Bye!

2 comments:

  1. You can do it I am proud of you. I need some extra motivation too. I really wanna do Zumba with you (the videos) once things calm down... cough cough, that never happens. We will get together. The first step is eating healthier. Josh is the only one that attends Golds right now because we can't afford two. It sucks, we used to get a discount, they took that away in November. I totally miss YMCA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so true!!!! It is really expensive to eat healthy. Bob Harper from Biggest Loser said you can't compete with Domino's $5 pizzas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...