Friday, March 4, 2011

What is good for baby is good for mommy!

L started daycare today.  He is going for socialization mainly with the hope that being around children his age will help his speech a little.  L was in daycare for 6 months when we lived up north, but has not been in daycare for over a year.  I remember his first first day of daycare.  He was so little, just 3 months old.  I dropped him off and only called one time to check on him.  He did great and surprisingly, I did great too.  I really didn't worry about him too much.  I had taken my time finding the right daycare and I was comfortable with him being there while I was at work.  So I didn't think today would be a big deal for either of us.  L adapts well and so do I. 

L decided he wanted to start his day at 6:30 am, so we got up and ate breakfast together, followed by play time, and then both of us got dressed for our day.  We left the house at 8 to head to daycare.  It's not to far from our house, so we were there pretty quick.  I took L out of the car and carried him in.  He remembered the daycare from when we had visited and immediately wanted to go to the classroom and was pretty upset when I explained that he had to check in first.  We checked in and a teacher took us back to the classroom.  L took one look at me, turned his head to the teacher with the outstretched arms, and up he went into her arms.  She promptly took him into the play area and he never even looked back at me to say goodbye.  He was too enthralled by the ball pit. 

So off I go without a child in tow to enjoy my day.  I have to say that I was more affected this time dropping him off than when he was 3 months old..  Maybe because he is so independent and it makes me realize that he is growing up!  I can't believe he is 21 months old today.  Before I know it, he'll be 21 YEARS old and I'll be officially old...

I had a wonderful day!  It's hard for me to go out on my own without L because a)people want to see him wherever I go (i.e. when visiting friends or family), b)we lived up north without any family to watch him, c)I'm so used to taking him with me everywhere, it just comes naturally.  L has been a great baby to take with me anywhere, but as he's getting into the toddler ages, he's not as good at restaurants, shopping malls, walmart, target, etc.

I had an allergist appointment today, but I was done dropping L off a little early, so I made a quick trip to Walgreens to pick up a few things.  It was weird being able to wander up and down the aisles and not have to worry about when L would get restless. 

After my allergist appointment, I went to work out then hit up Panera for some lunch.  I was able to enjoy my lunch without having food thrown all over me, the floor, and the poor people in the neighboring tables.  GASP!!  Was my life really like this before I had a child?  Yes, yes it was. 

I did a little shopping at the mall and had time to peruse the stores, actually try on clothing, and went to the bathroom without having to worry about where L's hands were.  (He generally really likes to touch everything in the bathroom-including the toilet-ICK!)

My day was wonderful.  They always say what is good for baby is good for mommy and I agree.  Although the daycare was more for L's benefit, I really think having a day to myself is going to be good for me too!

Of course, the BEST part of my day was walking into L's classroom and seeing him sitting at a little table with his snack and friends.  He looked so happy.  He didn't notice me at first, but when he finally looked up and saw me-his little face lit up and he ran right to me and wrapped his little arms around me!  His teachers said that he had the best first day of daycare they had ever seen.  They couldn't believe how well he did.  He apparently already has a few girlfriends and I caught him holding hands with one of them.  So cute!  What a wonderful feeling to know L and I both had a great day apart from each other, but we were both SO happy to see each other again!!

1 comment:

  1. That is one of my favorite parts of the day when I pick up Brynleigh. I walk in the door and her face lights up and melts my heart. It definately helps having a good baby, sounds like Logan had a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...