Ah...gymnastic memories! There are so many, but I'm going to highlight a few of my favorites. I know you all are dying to see a picture of me in a leotard, but that's not gonna happen. Unfortunately, all the photos are packed away and none are scanned into the computer (boohoo!)
- I once fell on my head when I dismounted the bars. It was not so funny at the time, but my parents caught it on tape and it was actually pretty funny. I over-rotated a flip and WHOP landed on my head. Did I just lay there and cry? Nope-I bounced up with a huge smile, saluted the judges (what gymnasts do at the beginning and end of their routines), and then turned and started crying.
- I had a very bad habit of breaking apparatus at gymnastic meets. At one meet, another coach helped my coach Brian set up the bars and did not tighten them down so in the middle of my routine, the bars went all loose. I did not complete my routine and I was pretty sure I would kill myself and luckily I was allowed to repeat the routine once the bars were tightened down. At another meet, I was doing a jump on the balance beam and the beam fell down on one side, so the beam was at an angle. I did complete my routine this time, but fell off multiple times. (It's pretty hard to stay on a beam that is crooked...) Luckily, I was able to repeat the routine again.
- Gymnastic camp at Mizzou was a blast! I remember yelling at the basketball camp boys from our dorm window and almost getting kicked out of camp because the camp counselors thought we were yelling at them!
- Tropical Sno! I still LOVE Tropical Sno to this day. Brian would take all us girls to Tropical Sno or have it brought in during our long practices. Yum!
- Squid! Although I remember all my gymnastic friends well for different things, the fact we called a teammate Squid blows my mind! LOL!!
- There was a particular mean judge that loved me because of my scars. (I have scars on the side of both of my legs that go pretty much from hip to knee from orthopedic surgeries when I was younger). I swear I got better scores with her just because I was rockin' some serious scars.
- My fear of vault. I remember my Mom bribing me with ice cream after practices if I would just go over the d&*% thing. I never liked tossing myself off a spring board onto a vaulting horse. I would run down and instead of vaulting over, I ran around the thing. Pretty sure I did this at meets a few times too. I don't think I would ever have been able to toss myself over the tongue looking vault horse they have now. (This was changed right after I was done with gymnastics)
- Yang Bo...My Dad always tried to stay up with the gymnastic lingo, but this was the funniest. We were watching gymnastics on TV and the announcer said "Oh look at that Yang Bo!!" My Dad replies "Hmmm...I didn't know that was what you called that?!?" I was surprised that he even knew the name of any gymnastic jumps (a Yang Bo was a jump that was named after a gymnast). Then he continued on..."I just thought it was still called a wedgie!" Yes-apparently the gymnast on TV had one half of her leotard up her butt (as opposed to both sides) so my Dad thought a one sided wedgie was a "Yang Bo" I still use this term to this day!
 |
| Logan demonstrating the "Yang Bo" today |
There are about a million other memories I could share, but this is a good start. I'm sure I'll write about others later...but really can anything top Logan and his "Yang Bo"?
No comments:
Post a Comment